Friday, October 15, 2010

But it hurts...

"Ow," my wife winces each morning upon waking, gingerly rubbing just below her sternum. It's a dull and deep pain, and she asked the doctor about it the other day. He told her not to worry - that it's just her bones and the rest of her body making the necessary adjustments. On the phone with her friend last night, she said, "I don't care what he says. It feels like my ribs are being pried apart by monkeys." It's funny how the pain associated with pregnancy is unlike any other. When I heard her say the bit about monkeys, I immediately thought, "That needs to go in the blog. I want to remember that." Not just because it made me smile (or because it was about monkeys) but because it's a marker, a touchstone that I can look back on and say, "When THAT happened, we were five weeks along, close to the end, and so very excited." In the long arc of our lives, is there any other pain that leads to something so beautiful in the end?

35 days until baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment