Friday, May 13, 2011

An Inevitable Question

Someone asked me today what I would do if Violet wants to eat meat when she’s older. Would I let her? What about when she’s out with friends? I’ve been asked these questions before and I’ve never taken them too seriously. Part of me is certain that as Violet grows and we reveal to her all the reasons that we are vegan, she’ll come to embrace and appreciate our values as her own. But there’s another part of me (usually a part that only rears it’s ugly, doubt-filled head in the single digits of the morning) that sees all the people sitting in McDonald’s and Burger King and wonders if I’m kidding myself. So, I’ve come up with this answer. I’m going to put meat-eating under the same behavior heading as smoking. “Not in my house, here’s all the reasons why you shouldn’t, and I don’t care if everyone else is doing it.”

173 days old

No comments:

Post a Comment