Tuesday, May 24, 2011

How to Make God Laugh? Tell Him Your Plans.

Linda’s thinking about going back to school. She went to an orientation today at a local college and brought home some information about a prospective program. In describing the details to me, she mentioned possible graduation dates of 2013 and 2014, and I found myself figuring out how old Violet would be, picturing if she would be old enough to watch and appreciate her mom walk across a stage in a cap and gown. Before Violet, the mention of dates two or three years down the road would not have brought to mind any corresponding thoughts. Not to say that my life wasn’t exciting, but what’s the big difference between being forty-one and forty-two? I might wonder if I'll still be teaching second grade or if I'll still have a beard, but no life changing events were planned. Now, I’m imagining a world of difference between being a parent of a two year old and the parent of a three year old. We now have this diapered agent of ongoing, continual change that will be nudging us into a slightly different life from day to day and a tremendously different life from year to year.

184 days old

No comments:

Post a Comment