Friday, March 4, 2011

I Will Not Ban Them In a House. Or With a Mouse

It was Dr. Seuss's birthday this week, and the related activities that went on at my school spilled over into what I read to Violet at home. Hop on Pop, There's a Wocket in My Pocket, Thidwick the Big-Hearted Moose, and The Lorax. (She has no idea what I'm reading - half the time she's inadvertently kicking the book, not even looking at it, or thinking about crying, but I know the time spent with her, along with her hearing the words and my voice, as well as the routine of reading, are all valuable endeavors.) The book we read tonight - The Lorax - is a book I plan on reading to her again and again, so I was stunned to find out this week that the book was banned at one time because it was thought to criminalize the forest industry. Even if it did, I can't fathom the mindset that would arrive at book banning as a logical solution. I plan on making sure Violet understands why banning books is so counterproductive. We're starting Catcher in the Rye tomorrow...or maybe Green Eggs and Ham.

104 days old

No comments:

Post a Comment