Saturday, July 16, 2011

Why cry?

Violet is unfazed when we leave her with Linda’s parents. Maybe it’s temporary, but for the time being, she takes no notice of our departure beyond a brief glance in our direction. It’s more as if she catches some movement out of the corner of her eye, and she just looks up to make sure it’s nothing worth staring at. So far, my in-laws are the only people who we’ve had baby-sit, and it’s reassuring to know that Violet’s so comfortable with them; I’m not complaining. I wouldn’t want Violet to pitch a fit when we leave. Linda and I purposely don’t make a big deal about it when we do walk out the door, but my question tonight is this: if she’s so composed when we leave, why does she burst into tears when we come back? She could be in the middle of a big smile, sitting on grandpa’s or grandma’s lap, and as soon as her eyes lock onto one of us, her face reddens, the corners of her mouth droop down, her bottom lip shoots out, and the tears tumble down. Linda thinks it is because Violet suddenly realizes that we were gone, but I don’t know. Maybe she’s saying we’ve returned too soon?

237 days old

No comments:

Post a Comment