Thursday, August 26, 2010

Never tell anyone outside the Family what you are thinking

Godparents. The official reason for a godparent, as I understand it, is to have someone waiting in the wings so, in case something fatal happens to their parents, a child will have someone to raise them up “in the church.” I don’t know how many parents consider that when making their list of potential godparents, but having gone through thirteen years of Catholic school, it definitely figures into my decision. Not that I’m a good Catholic. When asked about my religion, I feel guilty and avoid the question by joking that I’m a “recovering Catholic”. My wife and I don’t go to church, and I have a distrust of organized religion (As Woody Allen said, I don’t want to be part of any group that would have me as a member), but this consideration of godparents begs the question of how we will approach religion with our child. Even though I don’t go to church, I still consider myself a religious person, and the basis of my religious beliefs, as well as my morals and ethics, is rooted in what the nuns and priests taught me when I was in uniform at St. Pete’s. The conflict lies in the fact that I’m also full of questions and uncertainties about many of the things I learned. My wife is the same. So, what do we do for our child? Do we teach them as we were taught, in the traditional manner, ignoring our adult questions? Do we allow them to find religion on their own once they’re old enough to begin looking (what if they never do? I find that notion upsetting.)? Or do we find some sort of muddled middle ground?


85 days until baby.
My wife went to the doctor today. All systems are go. There are ten fingers and toes. From now on, she needs to go every two weeks, and soon the appointments will be weekly. The end is nigh!

2 comments:

  1. The answer is simple...Agnostic theism...problem solved...now move on to more important questions like whether to get him/her iPhone or Droid...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My experience is it is wise and healthy to expose your children to organized religion--your own and others. Have them baptized, take them to church and Sunday School, have them confirmed, and then let them make their own choices. Otherwise, they might latch onto something more cultish as my confused, college-bound nephew, deprived of any religious education, has done.

    ReplyDelete