Thursday, September 15, 2011

Antidote

I always wondered how teachers who were also parents did it. How could they deal with kids all day, then go home and deal with more? When people used to ask me if my wife and I were going to have children, I would respond with, “I already have 18 children (or however many students I had that year).” During the pregnancy, I secretly wondered if it would be difficult, coming home and having to step into the role of a parent instead of just decompressing, especially on those days when my patience had been worn down to a nub. Selfish thinking, I know, but I thought it all the same. What I hoped and suspected at the time, and what I’ve since found to be true, is that coming home to Violet is an antidote for even the toughest day.

298 days old

No comments:

Post a Comment