Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Sort of Homecoming

At a funeral today, I watched a family come together and mourn the loss of one of their own. I watched fathers and mothers with their sons and daughters, old and newborn. It was a sad occasion but it was beautiful, too. From my seat in the balcony, I saw husbands place their arms around their wives’ shoulders, relatives lean in and cling to one another for comfort. I watched fathers plant gentle kisses on the foreheads of their newborns. There was mourning in that church, but it was also a celebration of sorts. There are days when I wonder if we’re doing the right thing, bringing a child into this world that can be so horrific. Today was not one of those days.

12 days until baby.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Bill. Thank you for this post. Children bring light. Yours will bring lots. A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bill, and Thanks for being there. You're right - it was a celebration of life and the New Life my Grampa now has. - yes, mixed with sadness, but such joy in holding those new little ones and passing love and blessings from generation to generation. Can't wait to meet your new little one! Noel

    ReplyDelete