Thursday, November 25, 2010

I Know There's Something I'm Forgetting...

Every day since coming home from the hospital, I have been amazed at what I can accomplish on just a few hours of sleep. We’re still settling into a skeleton of a routine – figuring out things like the baby's feeding schedule, how and where we can sleep and still be in arm’s reach of Violet, how to fit making dinner (or any other meal) into the day. Prior to Violet’s birth, I needed 7 hours of sleep in order to function properly. Anything less and I’d be yawning all day. Now, I chug along without really thinking about it. Maybe I’m still on a high from Violet’s birth. I’m too much in love and there’s too much to do and think about. Sleep will have to wait. Unfortunately, there are some side effects to my lack of sleep, one of them being forgetfulness. Things that were part of my everyday routine – necessary things - have slipped my mind in the face of baby-related tasks. But for some of these things, I’ll have to make time. Today, I realized that I haven’t showered since Sunday.


5 days old.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that you are all doing better. It's amazing how those little ones can greatly change our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could never have conceived of how much our lives (and us) have changed because of 8 more pounds of person in our house - and I'm sure I can't fathom how much more change we still have to go through...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda & Bill, Soooo happy for you all... drink in these days of love & new life. How wonderful to read your blog-- takes me back to the birth of my babes! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Cleaning and scrubbing can wait until tomorrow...
    for babies grow up we've learned to our sorrow...
    so quiet down cobwebs...
    dust go to sleep...
    I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep!!"

    I had this poem embroidered, framed, and displayed in the nursery where I could see it while I was singing or reading to my little ones or rocking them to sleep. It was a reminder through the years of what is important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gretchen - Thank you! We're trying to appreciate these days before they're gone - everyone's telling us that we'll blink and Violet will be off to college.

    Anne - I LOVE this poem. I think I need it more than Linda. Seriously, I have to will myself to sit down and not worry about dishes, laundry, or the million other things that I could be doing instead of spending time with my daughter.

    ReplyDelete